Vice Mayor for the Child; Vice Mayor for Urban Infrastructure: Vice Mayor for Civil Society; NGOs; Groups Running Activities
At a time when investing in personal development opportunities is a luxury for many Athenians, there is an increasing need for safe, open public spaces in many neighborhoods. The Open Schools program was designed to convert school buildings, after dismissal, on holidays and on weekends, into vibrant community centers. The program offers a variety of free, targeted activities and workshops for all ages.
The program has successfully engaged leading businesses and organizations, such as Microsoft, UNICEF, and the National Theater, bringing resources and expertise to neighborhoods throughout Athens. Many courses and activities are offered by a network of community providers, designed to build skills and increase the employability of participants.
• Language courses in Greek, English, Arabic, Farsi, and Turkish (1,315 participants)
• Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Education (776 participants)
• Job interview preparation (82 participants)
• How to build a sustainable social enterprise (300 participants)
Open Schools in numbers:
- 24,000 participants
- 110 organizations and partners engaged
- 322 activities offered